UPDATE for March 2020: I am now open to job offers for full-time, part-time, contract or freelance work. I am looking to push my Kubernetes-based devops and Linux-based SRE role capabilities even further, but am also open to a change in direction, as long as it involves automating and integrating things. Please contact me if you have any interesting opportunities.
- Dynamic DNS with external-dnsThis article quickly summarises how I now manage the DNS entry that points to the public IP address of my fibre connection, which is assigned a random new IP every 24 hours or so. This came about from deciding to switch from Route53 to Cloudflare for DNS management. I’d already prepared the destination zones on […]
- Protected: Tangram Vector running in containersThere is no excerpt because this is a protected post.
- Azure CLI can’t find antlr4 python libraryI’m trying to run up a VM on Azure using CLI commands on my Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal) workstation. I’m following the official instructions. On running the ‘az vm create’ command, I get the following error: Looks like the Azure CLI packages for Ubuntu have a dependency on ‘antlr4’ python library, and that isn’t being packaged […]
- Deploying OPNSense to no-name WAN router hardwareIn this article, I will discuss my recent experience replacing an older SOHO WAN router running OPNSense with a newer one. Problem summary. I live and work in a remote area, which does not have the most reliable power and internet connections. I’ve addressed the intermittent power outages by installing a battery back-up system which […]
- Grant read-only rights to backup user for PostgreSQLThis one comes up quite regularly, so worthy of note. Whenever an application using Postgres changes or creates tables (i.e. Odoo module updates for example), those tables don’t seem to be accessible by the backups user on the next backup run. This is the SQL I use to work around it: GRANT SELECT ON ALL […]
- Managing Kubernetes certificates with PythonI run into a small stumbling block the other evening while working on my ‘site domain manager’ project (for want of a better name). This is essentially a REST API running in a daemon service that manages the mappings of domains to websites, and uses ‘agents’ to automate the configuration via API calls to the […]